3/29/2005

Week Three, Tuesday - Sweat

I took a two day break before this run. I'm blaming that for my sluggishness bookending my run today. I've started tacking on minutes to the middle, longer run so that it's eventually all one big run with no walking breaks. Despite feeling slow and heavy, I managed it by thinking of the adrenaline boosts. This wouldn't be nearly as fun without them. I'm finding that it's getting easier for me to run past discomfort and distinguish it from stop-now pain. I am watching my shins though, since today they ached more than usual.

I was starving today after my run and shower. Flat out starving. I ate a respectable breakfast - Go Lean (recommended by my nutritionist) with milk and half a banana. That fuel was gone by the time I finished. Or, if not gone, just absent from my stomach, which was howling for sustenance. I tossed it some almonds (also per the nutritionist) and it seems to have quieted somewhat. I was proud of myself for not eating the cookies in the cupboard. They didn't even sound appetizing.

At the end, what made it all worthwhile today was the sweat. I've never been a heavy sweater and I've always been envious of those always skeletal, tall, men decorating black plastic treadmills all over the world with glistening blotches of sweat. I've never been that person. I sweat in more of a sheen, not a drip. Even when I've mustered a drip, in my formerly fit days, it was never enough to splotch on the equipment - a goal I've since given up. But I still love the sensation of a bead of sweat gathering and streaking down my skin. Today, drips were falling off of my elbows within the first five minutes. Sure, summer is coming and with it, humidity. And we've opened the windows and turned off the desert-heat furnace. Maybe that caused most of my dripping but some of it, at least a little bit, was caused by my getting-in-shape body.

W5 - 3.5, R5 - 4.5, W2 - 3.5, R16 - 4.3, W2 - 3.5, R9 - 4.3, W5 - 3.5, W2 - 3.0 = 46min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home