4/02/2005

Week Three, Saturday - Anticipation

I haven't stopped dreaming about running, three weeks in. I still wake up with the trails of dreams still glistening in my mind, memories of running over hills, down paths and roads, in combat boots, barefoot, running to beaches, to meet friends, away from stillness. I'm waking up with a smile. I'm sure this will fade and I'll be dreaming about average things again but I'm enjoying the bouncing feeling I get when I open my eyes and realize another run is sooner than I thought.

My job involves mainly sitting and doesn't offer opportunity to walk around or move my limbs. I fantasize about twice daily runs, even though I know my body couldn't handle it. Instead, my mind is constantly wandering to the whens and hows of my next run. How will I feel? Good? Strong? Can I go faster? Longer? Am I going too slow? Am I running too little? Part of it is mentally preparing myself to spend that time banging down onto my knees and ankles. Part of me is wishing it could be happening right now.

I no longer see sidewalks as a consequence of neighborhoods. I see them as possible paths. I look at their up and down-ness, their cracks, their beginning and endings. I eye the local high school's track. I evaluate each step to see if I'm ready to add more, to add challenges to my workout. I want to lump in weight training to strengthen those muscles that are working hard and yoga to soothe them. I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home