4/06/2005

Week Four, Wednesday - Heels

Actually, it's the balls of my feet and I'm blaming the heels. On a day to day basis at work I wear flat shoes or, depending on the shift, tennis shoes. This is just a temporary hiatus from my big bad fancy suit and heels job, though. In a year, I'll be back to having to look professional all the time. Previously, this meant 3 inch heels. I have blue and gold and cream sandals, blue and black and red heels, pointy heels, square heels, gorgeous blocky sexy heels. I have a ton of tall shoes. I've always been a successful heel wearer, even springing back into them after a broken ankle, walking a mile to and from work, running for the bus. Round about the time I had brain surgery (two summers ago) I stopped wearing them in order to stop falling over and I haven't really gone back. Today though, I had a scheduled ultra professional meeting - so I donned the heels. A conventional pair. A sturdy pair with lots of room in the toe box and well broken in.

Disclaimer: I know they're bad for you.

I came home today with blisters on the bottoms of the balls of my feet. Right in the middle. This happens from time to time, if my socks rub in too big shoes, or I'm on my feet all day, or, well, whatever. But this was definitely triggered by the heels. I have bright angry red heels and blisters on my soles. I don't know if I feel like running/should run on those or wait until tomorrow. I've been thinking of my run all day and I'm sure the shoes would cushion the blisters, but I don't want it to hurt, or to make it worse.

So, officially, no more heels. I might keep one pair (because I love the way they make my legs look and even if I just stand in the mirror once a year, I'd be happy), but I'm putting the rest out. They're bad for you. They're bad for your legs and feet and posture. No amount of good looking can make up for a missed run because of blisters. There's no law required heels at my new job so I'll just have to invest in flats. Boring, but practical. I still haven't gotten it through my skull that I need to wear sunglasses and hats and sunscreen and take vitamins and not rub my face with the towel and so on and so forth. One step at a time. And I'm trying.

I might still run anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home