4/28/2005

Week Seven, Thursday - Starting Over

I ran outside on a local trail this afternoon. While the trail was gradual up and downhills, it's asphalt and the mileage is marked, so I thought it would be easier than running on sidewalks/streets. Whether it was post two midnight shifts, or the first day after a day off or simply running outside, I wasn't able to run as long as I wanted to. It was strange, I felt strong, but I couldn't go longer than two minutes (at the most) without slowing to a walk again. On the plus side, my shins didn't ache too badly. I think I'll start back at the beginning again, using week two of the Cool Running Couch to 5k plan. It frustrates me that I can't do the same speed or distance outside as I can inside. It frustrates me that I feel so awkward and clumsy outside, while inside I feel graceful and capable. I hope that getting better outside comes more quickly than it did inside, since I already have that base. Doesn't mean it isn't, well, frustrating.

.5mW, 1.5mR/W alternating 1 min. each, 5minW

2 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Going outside and running does change things a bit. I'm not sure you need to start over though. Maybe just modify what you are doing until you get used to it.

I had similar issues when I switched from roads to trails. All those nice times went out the window and I added two minutes to my normal pace per mile. Just had to go slow and take more breaks.

It gets better. Stay on that horse, you are doing fine.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger gvmtgirl said...

Thank you. I know that it makes sense that it's easier than I think it is, that I'll adjust more quickly than I think. It was just so discouraging today! I'm hoping though that adding the incline and stepping up the speed on my indoor runs and increasing the frequency of my outdoor runs will help. Patience, and practice, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home