6/11/2005

Week 13, Saturday - Well, thank goodness!

I'm not alone!

It's nice to hear you all are struggling with the heat/humidity too! Well, not nice. But, you know what I mean. I gave the track another go this morning at 8am (instead of at 6pm at 90 degrees). It was just about 80 this morning when I got there and I found that wasn't such an uncomfortable temperature to run in. As before, I found my heartbeat went up and stayed up much quicker than on the treadmill. I'm really struggling with running continually outside. I'm not sure if it's the inexperience (I'm sure a large part of it is) or laziness (which I hate to think can thwart me even when I'm watching out for it) or fear of making something hurt (though that doesn't stop me on the treadmill). So, I focused on just keeping my heart rate in range though for thirty minutes, by which point it was a whole 5 degrees hotter and my calf was revolting.

No really, revolting. There's some sort of weird golf ball sized pain in the back inside of my right calf. I'd howl here for emphasis, but I'm sure you all have had a similar pain somewhere. I can't seem to find a good stretch for that particular stretch of muscle, so I've stretched everything around it and am hoping for the best. Thing is, it mostly doesn't hurt when I'm not running, so I'm not sure if it's gone away or not. This has provided me with hours of muddling this week.
Well, it was a slow week.

Here's to you, and your sweat and unexplained calf pain. Thanks for making me feel not so alone.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yeah, the treadmill running is not going to tax your legs quite the same way as running outside. I have to add a 1% incline on the 'mill to get the same aerobic effect as street running.

That said, running in the heat drains my strength really fast too.

Sorry you've got that pain in the calf. Pain sucks. I get alot of it. Are you doing both a soleus stretch and a gastroc stretch? The gastroc stretch is the one where you look like you are trying to push the wall over. The soleus stretch is the same except your back knee is bent. You need to stretch both those muscles in your calf. I find the soleus stretch is most critical for me.

Hope that calf starts behaving soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home