6/06/2005

Week 13, Sunday - Oh, the Heat!

I seem to be doing less moaning and lying about and more moving, which makes me feel like whatever slump grabbed me and shook me around last week is over. D and I went to run on the track yesterday afternoon. It was the first really hot day in northern Virginia. We've been enjoying a long string of mid-sixty (and lower) days, only fair I suppose, since it was still 79 in late January. But yesterday, we broke out of our rut and blossomed into fully humid, sunny June. I didn't meet my May goal for outside miles (or frequency) so I doubt I was up to my goal of two miles on the track yesterday. As it happened, I was right - the heat was smothering and my body wilted and gave up much sooner than I would have liked. The positive? I ran nearly all of a mile and walked another half mile. Otherwise, it was only a mile, only a little, not as fast or as hard as I would have liked.

On the other hand, my heart rate stayed comfortably in the aerobic zone the entire time (blame it on the heat) and it was a solid 40 minutes of activity all told. So, I'm out of shape (obviously) but I had a wonderful time and I know it'll be easier next time. One, because I won't be going at 5 when it's still blazingly sunny and 85 outside and two, because I've done it once already.

Yes, I drank lots of water. I'm good about that.

W5, R30, W5, W5 - 1.5m/45min

2 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yeah, the heat sucks the energy right out of you. You muscles don't work efficiently when they are hot like that so its hard to get that burst of power. I hate running in below zero temps, but its better than running in 80F temps.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm struggling with the heat, too. I have been spoiled so far this year. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home