6/17/2005

Week 14, Friday - New York

I've been in New York this week walking all over the city. The skyline was amazing. I haven't really explored the city since I was 17, making only one visit (to Brooklyn) since. We did a number of touristy things (the top of the Empire State Building at dusk), a number of obligatory things (5th Avenue, World Trade Center site) and a few odd things (sea lion feeding in Central Park, the whispering arches in Grand Central). Although we spent a good part of one day on the subway jaunting from destination to destination on an unlimited pass, we still did large chunks of walking while shopping, getting to subway stops and in and around the city. My feet felt like I walked all over Manhattan in bare feet on glass by the end of the first day. I had great, comfortable shoes on and good socks (no blisters!) but they still hurt a day later. I'm fairly certain from the needling pain in one arch near my heel that it's plantar fasciitis. It's much worse right after getting out of bed in the morning - bad enough so that I can't walk at first. I've had a similar pain in this arch before and it gets better with running, but I can't even imagine running with this pain. In the meantime, I'm popping ibuprofin and keeping it up. Massage seems to help. I really enjoyed New York, though. Sore tootsies or not.

4 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Damn. Sorry about the PF. Someone said to wear shoes all the time to help it heal. They said don't step on the floor in the morning without shoes under your feet. Hope it heals up soon.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger *jeanne* said...

I LOVE NYC...can't believe I don't live there anymore. It'll always be home to me...

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Will said...

what is the best way to contact you? email?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger BonnieJ said...

I don't know how odd this will sound, but the foot pain I was having in my arch went away when I stopped wearing shoes. Of course, now I'm dealing with blisters and running with different form, but I'm hoping to avoid the pain that was starting to creep up on me especially on longer runs. True, the lack of foot pain may be because I don't run as long now due to the blisters, but eventually I will be seeing if the pain stays away as I add mileage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home